Melbourne, Florida, is notoriously hot and humid. That’s why it’s important for residents to know how to balance humidity and improve a home’s indoor air quality simultaneously. Doing so creates a clean and comfortable environment to live in. If you struggle with balancing humidity, the following advice applies to you:
Achieving the Right Level of Humidity Inside the Home
The right indoor humidity level should be about 45 percent. If the environment is under 30 percent, it’s deemed too dry. If it is over 60 percent, it’s considered too high and the perfect breeding ground for comntaminants.
h2>Improve the Air You Breathe With These Tips
There are many ways to improve the air that you breathe inside your home. If you want the best indoor air quality possible, do the following:
- Clean regularly to remove pollutants from the home. Unseen dangers in the home include dirt, dust, pollen and pet dander. They’re often wispy or grainy in appearance and blow throughout your home without you realizing. Dusting, vacuuming and laundering materials in hot water regularly improves the air you breathe quickly.
- Invest in houseplants. There are many varieties of houseplants that are natural air filters. English Ivy, Peace Lilies, Snake Plants and Chrysanthemums are all known to remove some pollutants from indoors settings. Known as VOCs, substances such as benzene, trichloroethylene and formaldehyde threaten the quality of air families breathe indoors. Buy a few plants to keep indoors to serve as natural air purifiers.
- Change filters regularly. Dirty air filters can cause myriad health problems, such as headaches, chest tightness and cold symptoms. They also keep air from flowing efficiently and even contribute to high energy bills.
Maintain a Clean and Tidy Home With These Tips
Staying on top of household chores takes effort. The following tips help cut back on the number of pollutants that enter your home:
- Create a cleaning schedule and ask your family to pitch in. Assign specific chores to each person.
- Ask visitors to take their shoes off before entering your home. Use mats in the mudroom to hold footwear.
- Opt for natural cleaning products. There is a lot of cleaning power in baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
Keeping humidity levels between 40 and 60 percent creates the ideal indoor living environment. Regular cleaning improves indoor air quality by removing toxins and allergens from the home. Having your air conditioner cleaned and serviced regularly improves its efficiency and the indoor air quality inside your home. Contact Merritt Island Air & Heat at (321) 392-6564 to schedule maintenance today.